Lets talk potatoes!
If there is one food that absolutely makes me happy it has to be the potato. Mashed, whipped, fried, diced, sautéed, and all the other ones i can’t think of. To me no holiday is complete without a potato. Since going dairy free I’ve been worried about missing out on all the delicious potato options. My usual mashed potato recipe includes sour cream, butter, and cream cheese. All things i can no longer eat without a swift trip to the restroom (#oversharing). So I’ve been on a mission to find substitutes for all the things i love.
As I’ve been exploring dairy free cheese options I’ve discovered a brand that has completely satisfied my craving for creamy goodness. Kite Hill has saved me from giving in to regular cream cheese and consequently ending up with a stomach ache. I eat it with gluten free crackers and pretzels, and now in my mashed potatoes.
Simple dairy free mashed potatoes
– 4 medium russet potatoes
– half a cup warm almond milk
– half a cup Kite Hill cream cheese style spread ( i like chive flavor)
– 1 Tbs magic mushroom powder
– Chives (as topping)
- Boil potatoes in a large pot until tender. About 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are boiling combine almond milk, spread, and mushroom powder and whisk until smooth
- Drain potatoes and mash in a large bowl
- Once mashed into smaller pieces whip with an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer) for super fluffy texture
- Slowly add almond milk mixture to whipped potatoes.
- Top with delicious things like bacon and chives